Sunday, May 22, 2011

No NAP!!!

For the most part, Jesstine has always been a fairly good sleeper! The exception to this is naptime! When she was a baby, her morning nap consisted of 30 mins. at the max! So, at less than 10 months, we decided to get rid of the nap. She seemed to do great after that! For the longest time it seemed to be great. Then at 18 months, she started to climb out of her crib and fall. So, we transitioned her to a big girl bed. That is a challenge for most kids because they have more freedom and are able to pretty much do what they want. We eventually found something that worked for us, albeit me staying in her room until she fell asleep at nap. Eventually, I grew tired of that and for a while I would just take a nap with her. It got to where she would only sleep for half an hour. So, I got some blackout curtains in her room and told her she had to take a nap on her own. It has worked as good as gold ever since! This week is the exception! I don't know if it is because she is ready for me to come home for the summer. Maybe it is the fact that we have had some excitment the last couple of days (swimming pool and swing set assembly yesterday and more swing set assembly today as well as our bimonthly babysitting duties). Needless to say, she has NOT slept at all the last two naps! Today I even resorted to spanking (which I detest). It didn't work. I have mentioned it on facebook which turns out to be a mistake. I have been getting advice from others that it may be time to just drop nap. Problem with that is, Jesstine is a typically happy girl. Yesterday and today she has been an absolute mess! She cried at the drop of the hat today at church. I am at a loss of what to do! It is especially hard because I am in need of a daily nap at this point! So, I am just going to keep on keeping on! In the meantime, I feel a little like the dad in a movie that I watched as a kid. The movie was "Honey, I Blew Up The Kid!" (yes of the infamous honey I shurnk the kids series of movies). In the movie there is a 2-3 year old boy who absolutely hates naps. His most recited line is, "No NAP!" So I leave you with this picture! I will update in a few days to let you know how it goes! Right now it seems SO daunting!
In Him,
The Hutchins'
Update 8:50 PM: She is now fighting bedtime! You would think she would be zonked after not sleeping at nap! Who are you and what have you done with my child?!!!

No comments: