Monday, January 24, 2011

There's NO place like home, *CLICK, CLICK*

Today we were able to honor our hero. My brother, Billie, is a Staff Sargent in the US Air Force. He was stationed in Afghanistan for nearly 4 months. Today, he returned to Kansas (after a short stay at the base where he is currently stationed in Mountain Home, Idaho). We had the honor of greeting him at the airport upon his return. It was such a wonderful experience! I know Jesstine isn't old enough to be able to remember it or even understand it, but maybe some day she will understand the significance of this day. Welcome home Billie!! In the words of Judy Garland (as Dorthy), "There's no place like home!!!"


My friend, Kelly, and I made a sign to hold up for Billie as he came out of the gate at the airport. Later Jesstine added her own scribbles to it.


My brother was also greeted by some of the members of the VFW post that my grandmother was a member of when she was still alive. For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a group of war vetrans. They came with Old Glory flying high in a tunnel for my brother to walk through.



Here is the finished sign for Uncle Billie!


Jesstine had never been to the airport before. She reveled in the open space to run in (supervised of course) while waiting for Uncle Billie to arrive.

More running. This time I caught her shoes lighting up!


I had other pictures of my mom hugging my brother, but they were so blurry! I decided to turn the flash off and was at least able to catch his face right before he embraced her.


Jesstine was unsure of things at this point. Billie bent down to give her a hug and she had to turn to me for reassurance before finally giving him the best hug!

Here is a banner that was presented to my brother by our good family friend, (and veteran) Robin Ray. Each of us present at his home coming signed it...including Jesstine.

Here he is shaking the hand of a woman who I believe is still serving our country in one of the branches of service. She presented him with a t-shirt and was telling us that his story will likely air on a local television station on the 6:00 news.


Here one of the veterans has presented him with the paperwork to become a member of the VFW should he chose to when he exits the military.


Just a good picture of him in front of his tunnel of flags.


This looks like a really good picture of Jesstine tagging along as her uncle greets and thanks all of the people who were there on his behalf. Really she is still just running back and forth. Cheep thrills for the toddler!


Later we all went to Texas Roadhouse for some dinner. Jesstine LOVES it when they get up and dance! This time she and another little girl got up to dance at the same time. So the dancers picked them up and let them join in!

In Him,
The Hutchins

No comments: