Sunday, June 14, 2009

Rainbow Babies

I recieved a WONDERFUL email tonight from Shannon Barnes, director of Agape'Care Cradle. Agape'Care Cradle is the organization that helped us with funeral arrangements and so much more after the death of our oldest daughter, Babe B. Not too long after Babe B.'s death, we were asked to do an interview for a local TV program called, "It's All Good." The idea was to spread the word about Agape'Care and what they are doing to help families who have to endure the loss of a child. Agape'Care is a one of a kind service that is only located here in Wichita. We were only three weeks out from losing Babe B., but we agreed to the interview because we felt that Shannon and the Agape'Care volunteers helped us SO much, it was the least we could do! There were 3 other families that were interviewed that day. One of those was the family of my good friend, Cheri. As you know, Cheri recently delivered a healthy baby girl, Olivia Faith. Tonight I received the best news. All of the families interviewed for that program have now had a "Rainbow Baby," or a baby after the loss of another. One of the other mother's made us aware of this term that is used in certain circles. Here is a quote that she made. I find it to be so profound and want to share it with the world:


"Rainbow babies: In some circles, babies born to families after the loss of a child are referred to as 'Rainbow Babies.' The idea is that the baby is like a rainbow after a storm.'Rainbow Babies' convey the understanding that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm. When a rainbow appears, it doesn't mean the storm never happened or that the family is not still dealing with its aftermath. What it means is that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover but the rainbow provides a counterbalance of color, energy and hope...."


Andrea Sanmiguel


My Rainbow Baby,Jesstine, is such a blessing and joy! When I think of rainbows, I am reminded of the rainbow that God sent to Noah after the great flood in Genesis.

"(12) And God said, 'This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: (13) I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between you and me and the earth......" Genesis 9:12-13
God made a "promise" that he would never again flood the entire earth. Now, I know that the rainbow in the case of "rainbow babies" is not necessarily a promise that it will never happen to one of us again. I do know that we have an even greater promise from God. A promise that through the death of His son, we have a home in Glory someday where we will see all those who have gone on before us. I have had a picture in my head of what it will be like to finally see my daughter's smile with the light of Heaven shining on her face!

This is all ironic because today's sermon today was about promises or covenants. I know after reading these words I will never look at a rainbow the same way again! AND I am proud to think of my Jesstine as a "Rainbow Baby."

In Him,
Lacie, Stephen and Jesstine

No comments: